Re: Benchmarking PGSQL?

On 2/14/07, Luke Lonergan <llonergan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Here's one:

 Insert performance is limited to about 10-12 MB/s no matter how fast the
underlying I/O hardware.  Bypassing the WAL (write ahead log) only boosts
this to perhaps 20 MB/s.  We've found that the biggest time consumer in the
profile is the collection of routines that "convert to datum".

 You can perform the test using any dataset, you might consider using the
TPC-H benchmark kit with a data generator available at www.tpc.org.  Just
generate some data, load the schema, then perform some COPY statements,
INSERT INTO SELECT FROM and CREATE TABLE AS SELECT.

I am curious what is your take on the maximum insert performance, in
mb/sec of large bytea columns (toasted), and how much if any greenplum
was able to advance this over the baseline.  I am asking on behalf of
another interested party.  Interested in numbers broken down per core
on 8 core quad system and also aggreate.

merlin