Re: stats collector process high CPU utilization

Tom Lane wrote:
Benjamin Minshall <minshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Seems the problem may be related to a huge global/pgstat.stat file. Under 8.1.5 it was about 1 MB; now it's 90 MB in 8.2.3.

Yoi.  We didn't do anything that would bloat that file if it were
storing the same information as before.  What I'm betting is that it's
storing info on a whole lot more tables than before.

The server is running on the same actual production data, schema and workload as before.

Did you decide to start running autovacuum when you updated to 8.2?

Autovacuum was on and functioning before the update.

How many tables are visible in the pg_stats views?

There are about 15 databases in the cluster each with around 90 tables. A count of pg_stats yields between 500 and 800 rows in each database.

select count(*) from (select distinct tablename from pg_stats) as i;
 count
-------
    92
(1 row)