Re: stats collector process high CPU utilization

Tom Lane wrote:

OK, I was trying to correlate it with post-8.2.0 patches but evidently
that's the wrong tree to bark up.  No, this isn't an expected behavior.

I talked with a co-worker and discovered that we went from 8.1.5 to 8.2.2, ran a few hours then went to 8.2.3 after the patch was released. I do not know if the high utilization was a problem during the few hours on 8.2.2.

Is there anything unusual about your database (huge numbers of tables,
or some such)?

Nothing unusual. I have a few databases of about 10GB each; the workload is mostly inserts using COPY or parameterized INSERTS inside transaction blocks.

Can you gather some info about what it's doing?
strace'ing the stats collector might prove interesting, also if you have
built it with --enable-debug then oprofile results would be helpful.

I will gather some strace info later today when I have a chance to shutdown the server.

Thanks.

--
Benjamin Minshall <minshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Senior Developer -- Intellicon, Inc.