More 8.2 client issues (Was: [Slow dump?)

Hmm... This gets stranger and stranger. When connecting to the database with the psql client in 8.2's bin directory and using commands such as \d the client hangs, or takes an extremely long time. If we connect to the same 8.2 database with a psql client from 8.1.4, both remotely and locally, \d responds immediately. Could the issue be with the client programs somehow? Note also that we did our migration over the xmas weekend using the dump straight into a restore command. We kicked it off Saturday (12-23-06) night and it had just reached the point of adding foreign keys the morning of the 26th. We stopped it there, wrote a script to go through and build indexes (which finished in a timely manner) and have added just the foreign keys strictly necessary for our applications functionality (i.e. foreign keys set to cascade on update/delete, etc...).