Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

On 13.12.2006, at 19:03, Ron wrote:

What I find interesting is that so far Guido's C2D Mac laptop has gotten the highest values by far in this set of experiments, and no one else is even close.

This might be the case because I have tested with fsync=off as my internal harddrive would be a limiting factor and the results wouldn't be really helpful. Perhaps it's still the IO system, I don't know. I can try to reproduce the tests as close as possible again. Perhaps I had different settings on something but I doubt that.

The new Core * CPUs from Intel are extremely fast with PostgreSQL.

Anyone got a 2.33 GHz C2D box with a decent HD IO subsystem more representative of a typical DB server hooked up to it?

I have also now an Xserve with two Dual-Core Xeons and two SAS drives (15k Seagates) in a mirrored RAID here. Will do some testing tomorrow.

Btw: I always compare only to my own results to have something comparable - same test, same scripts, same db version, same operating system and so on. The rest is just pure interest.

cug