Re: RES: Priority to a mission critical transaction

Ron Mayer wrote:
Short summary:
  * Papers studying priority inversion issues with
    databases including PosgreSQL and realistic workloads
    conclude setpriority() helps even in the presence of
    priority inversion issues for TCP-C and TCP-W like
    workloads.
  * Avoiding priority inversion with priority inheritance
    will further help some workloads (TCP-C) more than
    others (TCP-W) but even without such schedulers
    priority inversion does not cause as much harm
    as the benefit you get from indirectly scheduling
    I/O through setpriority() in any paper I've seen.

Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
* Carlos H. Reimer <carlos.reimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [061128 20:02]:
Will the setpriority() system call affect i/o queue too?
Nope, and in fact the article shows the way not to do it.

Actually *YES* setpriority() does have an indirect effect
on the I/O queue.

While I was at Greenplum a related point was made to me:

For a TPC-H/BI type workload on a well configured box the IO subsystem can be fast enough so that CPU is the bottleneck for much of the time - so being able to use setpriority() as a resource controller makes sense.

Also, with such a workload being mainly SELECT type queries, the dangers connected with priority inversion are considerably reduced.

Cheers

Mark