Re: RES: Priority to a mission critical transaction

Josh Berkus wrote:
All,

The Bizgres project is working on resource management for PostgreSQL. So far, however, they have been able to come up with schemes that work for BI/DW at the expense of OLTP. Becuase of O^N lock checking issues, resource management for OLTP which doesn't greatly reduce overall performance seems a near-impossible task.

Right - I guess it is probably more correct to say that the implementation used in Bizgres is specifically targeted at BI/DW workloads rather than OLTP.

At this point we have not measured its impact on concurrency in anything other than a handwaving manner - e.g pgbench on an older SMP system showed what looked like about a 10% hit. However the noise level for pgbench is typically >10% so - a better benchmark on better hardware is needed.

Cheers

Mark