Re: Postgres server crash

Craig A. James wrote:
By the way, in spite of my questions and concerns, I was *very* impressed by the recovery process. I know it might seem like old hat to you guys to watch the WAL in action, and I know on a theoretical level it's supposed to work, but watching it recover 150 separate databases, and find and fix a couple of problems was very impressive. It gives me great confidence that I made the right choice to use Postgres.

Richard Huxton wrote:
 2. Why didn't the database recover?  Why are there two processes
    that couldn't be killed?

I'm guessing it didn't recover *because* there were two processes that couldn't be killed. Responsibility for that falls to the operating-system. I've seen it most often with faulty drivers or hardware that's being communicated with/written to. However, see below.

It can't be a coincidence that these were the only two processes in a SELECT operation. Does the server disable signals at critical points?

If a "kill -9" as root doesn't get rid of them, I think I'm right in saying that it's a kernel-level problem rather than something else.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd