Re: Postgres server crash

Russell Smith wrote:
Craig A. James wrote:
Questions:
1. Any idea what happened and how I can avoid this? It's a *big* problem.
 2. Why didn't the database recover?  Why are there two processes
    that couldn't be killed?

I'm guessing it didn't recover *because* there were two processes that couldn't be killed. Responsibility for that falls to the operating-system. I've seen it most often with faulty drivers or hardware that's being communicated with/written to. However, see below.

 3. Where did the "signal 9" come from?  (Nobody but me ever logs
    in to the server machine.)

I would guess it's the linux OOM if you are running linux.

If not, it means the server is hacked or haunted. Something outside PG issued a kill -9 and the OOM killer is the prime suspect I'd say.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd