Re: Keeping processes open for re-use

Csaba Nagy wrote:
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 13:35, Hilary Forbes wrote:
[snip] Is there a way that we can achieve this in Postgres? We have a
situation whereby we have lots of web based users doing short quick
queries and obviously the start up time for a process must add to
their perceived response time.

Yes: google for "connection pooling". Note that different solutions
exist for different programming languages, so you should look for
connection pooling for the language you're using.

If you are using PHP then persistent connections may be a simpler way if it is enough for your needs.

Basically replace pg_connect with pg_pconnect

Other languages may have a similar option.

http://php.net/manual/en/features.persistent-connections.php

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx