Keeping processes open for re-use

Dear All

Looking at the processes running on our server, it appears that each time a web server program makes a call to the database server, we start a new process on the database server which obviously has a start up cost. In Apache, for example, you can say at start up time,that you want the machine to reserve eg 8 processes and keep them open at all times so you don't have this overhead until you exceed this minimum number. Is there a way that we can achieve this in Postgres? We have a situation whereby we have lots of web based users doing short quick queries and obviously the start up time for a process must add to their perceived response time.

Thanks
Hilary

Hilary Forbes
DMR Limited (UK registration 01134804)
A DMR Information and Technology Group company (www.dmr.co.uk)
Direct tel 01689 889950 Fax 01689 860330
DMR is a UK registered trade mark of DMR Limited