Re: Easy read-heavy benchmark kicking around?

Similar experiences with HP and their SmartArray 5i controller on Linux.
The answer was: "this controller has won awards for performance! It can't be
slow!", so we made them test it in their own labs an prove just how awfully
slow it was.  In the case of the 5i, it became apparent that HP had no
internal expertise on Linux and their controllers, the driver was built by a
third party that they didn't support and their performance people didn't
deal with the 5i at all.

In the end, all manner of benchmarks after you've purchased aren't a good
substitute for the up front question: do you have documentation of the
performance of your RAID controller on [Linux, Solaris, ...]?

I would like everyone who purchases IBM, Dell, HP or Sun to demand that
documentation - then perhaps we'd see higher quality drivers and hardware
result.

- Luke