Re: Simple join optimized badly?

Craig A. James wrote:

Perhaps you scanned past what I wrote a couple paragraphs farther down. I'm going to repeat it because it's the KEY POINT I'm trying to make:

Craig James wrote:
Now you might argue that function-cost needs to be added to the optimizer's arsenal of tricks. And I'd agree with you: That WOULD be a better solution than hints. But I need my problem solved TODAY, not next year. Hints can help solve problems NOW that can be brought to the PG team's attention later, and in the mean time let me get my application to work.

True enough - but (aside from the fact that hints might take just as long to get into the development tree as cost-for-functions might take to write and put in...) there is a nasty side effect to adding hints - most of the raw material for optimizer improvement disappears (and hence optimizer improvement stalls)- why? simply that everyone then hints everything - welcome to the mess that Oracle are in (and seem to be trying to get out of recently)!

I understand that it is frustrating to not have the feature you need now - but you could perhaps view it as a necessary part of the community development process - your need is the driver for optimizer improvement, and it can take time.

Now ISTM that hints "solve" the problem by removing the need any further optimizer improvement at all - by making *you* the optimizer. This is bad for those of us in the DSS world, where most ad-hoc tools do not provide the ability to add hints.

Cheers

Mark