Re: selecting data from information_schema.columns

On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:31 PM, Steve Martin wrote:
Regarding, newsysviews, what is the current state, I have had a quick look at the pgFoundry site and the last updates were 9 months ago.

Well, the system catalogs don't change terribly often, so it's not like a lot needs to be done. We'd hoped to get them into core, but that didn't pan out. Theoretically, we should be making the views look more like information_schema, but no one's gotten to it yet.

The most efficient way in the short term I can find to improve performance for our application is to create a table from information_schema.columns and update it when tables a created or deleted, or columns added or removed. E.g.

Well, there's nothing that says you have to use information_schema. You can always query the catalog tables directly. Even if you don't want to use newsysviews as-is, the code there should be very helpful for doing that.

There is no ability to put triggers on DDL, so the best you could do with your caching table is to just periodically update it.
--
Jim Nasby                                            jim@xxxxxxxxx