Re: Vacuums on large busy databases

Francisco
On 14-Sep-06, at 4:30 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

Dave Cramer writes:

What is a reasonable number?
I estimate I have at least 1 to 2 GB free of memory.
You are using 6G of memory for something else ?

Right now adding up from ps the memory I have about 2GB.
Have an occassional program which uses up to 2GB.

Then I want to give some breathing room for when we have more connections so that work_mem doesn't make the macihne hit swap. At 32MB say worst case scenario I may have 50 operations using those 32MB, that's about 1.5GB.

2+2+1.5 = 5.5
So I believe I have free about 2.5GB
effective cache should be set to 75% of free memory

So I will increase to 1.5GB then.
personally, I'd set this to about 6G. This doesn't actually consume memory it is just a setting to tell postgresql how much memory is being used for cache and kernel buffers

I may have more memory, but this is likely a safe value.

Thanks for the feedback.. Didn't even know about this setting.
regarding shared buffers I'd make this much bigger, like 2GB or more

dave

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster