Re: Vacuums on large busy databases

Francisco
On 14-Sep-06, at 1:36 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

Dave Cramer writes:

What is effective_cache set to ?

Increasing this seems to have helped significantly a web app. Load times seem magnitudes faster.

Increased it to effective_cache_size = 12288 # 96MB

What is a reasonable number?
I estimate I have at least 1 to 2 GB free of memory.
You are using 6G of memory for something else ?

effective cache should be set to 75% of free memory

Don't want to get too carried away right now with too many changes.. because right now we have very few connections to that database (usually less than 10), but I expect it to go to a norm of 20+.. so need to make sure I won't make changes that will be a problem in that scenario.

So far only see one setting that can be an issue: work_mem so have it set to only 32768.

              http://archives.postgresql.org