Re: PostgreSQL scalability on Sun UltraSparc T1

Hi Markus,

As said, our environment really was a read-mostly one. So we didn't do much inserts/updates and thus spent no time tuning those values and left them as default settings.

Best regards,

Arjen

Markus Schaber wrote:
Hi, Arjen,

Arjen van der Meijden wrote:

It was the 8core version with 16GB memory... but actually that's just
overkill, the active portions of the database easily fits in 8GB and a
test on another machine with just 2GB didn't even show that much
improvements when going to 7GB (6x1G, 2x 512M), it was mostly in the
range of 10% improvement or less.

I'd be interested in the commit_siblings and commit_delay settings,
tuning them could give a high increase on throughput for highly
concurrent insert/update workloads, at the cost of latency (and thus
worse results for low concurrency situations).

Different fsync method settings can also make a difference (I presume
that syncing was enabled).

HTH,
Markus