Re: PostgreSQL scalability on Sun UltraSparc T1

On 29-7-2006 17:43, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

I would love to get my hands on that postgresql version and see how much farther it could be optimized.

You probably mean the entire installation? As said in my reply to Jochem, I've spent a few days testing all queries to improve their performance. I'm not sure what kind of improvements that yielded, but if I remember correctly its in the order of 3-5 times for the entire benchmark, compared to the initial MySQL-layout and queries.

If you mean the configuration and which version it was, I can look that up for you if you'd like. Including the compilation switches used on the T2000.

If we get to keep the machine (which we're going to try, but that's with worse performance than with their x4200 a bit doubtful), I'm sure we can work something out. Then again, we regularly have other server hardware on which the same database is used, so even without the T2000 we could still do some effort to further improve postgresql's performance. It might be interesting to have some Postgres experts do some more tuning and allowing MySQL AB to do the same... But I'm not sure if we're willing to spent that much extra time on a benchmark (just testing one database costs us about a day and a half...)

Best regards,

Arjen