Re: Quick Performance Poll

Markus,

On 4/20/06 8:11 AM, "Markus Schaber" <schabi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are they capable to index custom datatypes like the PostGIS geometries
> that use the GIST mechanism? This could probably speed up our Geo
> Databases for Map rendering, containing static data that is updated
> approx. 2 times per year.

Should work fine - the other limitation is cardinality, or number of unique
values in the column being indexed.  A reasonable limit is about 10,000
unique values in the column.

We're also going to improve this aspect of the implementation, but the
progress might take the useful limit to 300,000 or so.

- Luke