Re: Inserts optimization?

Michael Stone writes:

I still don't follow that. Why would the RAID level matter? IOW, are you actually wanting 2 spares, or are you just stick with that because you need a factor of two disks for your mirrors?

RAID 10 needs pairs.. so we can either have no spares or 2 spares.

Mmm, it's a bit more complicated than that. RAID 10 can be better if you have lots of random writes (though a large RAID cache can mitigate that).

We are using a 3ware 9550SX with 128MB RAM (at least I believe that is what that card has installed).

For small random reads the limiting factor is how fast you can seek, and that number is based more on the number of disks than the RAID level.

I don't have any solid stats, but I would guess the machines will fairly close split between reads and writes.

hardware. The reason that RAID 10 can give better random small block write performance is that fewer disks need to be involved per write.

That makes sense.

That's something that can be mitigated with a large cache

128MB enough in your opinion?

the writes, but some controllers are much better than others in that regard.

The controller we are using is 3Ware 9550SX.

This is really a case where you have to test with your particular hardware & data

That is obviously the ideal way to go, but it is very time consuming. :-(
To setup a machine with one set of raid setup.. test, then re-do with different set of raid.. re test.. that's anywhere from 1 to 2 days worth of testing. Unlikely I will be given that time to test.