Re: Inserts optimization?

Jim C. Nasby writes:

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 02:59:23PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
In RAID 10 would it matter that WALL is in the same RAID set?
Would it be better:
4 disks in RAID10 Data
2 disks RAID 1 WALL
2 hot spares

Well, benchmark it with your app and find out, but generally speaking
unless your database is mostly read you'll see a pretty big benefit to
seperating WAL from table/index data.

That will not be easy to compare.. it would mean setting up the machine.. trashing it.. then redoing the whole setup..

I am leaning towards using pgbench against the current machine to see what parameters affect inserts.. perhaps also doing dome tests with just inserts from a file. Then using the same setups on the next machine and just go with RAID10 on the 6 disks. Split the raid into 10 may give me space issues to deal with.

Will also find out if the app, Bacula, batches transactions or not.