Using materialized views for commonly-queried subsets

I typed up a description of a situation where the only viable option to
improve performance was to use a materialized view, which, when implemented,
was found to improve performance twenty-sevenfold, even with a fairly small
amount of excess data (which is antipated to grow).  I thought this might be
of use to anybody else in a similar situation, so I thought I'd post it here.

http://community.seattleserver.com/viewtopic.php?t=11

Feel free to reproduce as you see fit.

Cheers,
--