Re: Reliability recommendations

Jeremy Haile wrote:
We are a small company looking to put together the most cost effective
solution for our production database environment.  Currently in
production Postgres 8.1 is running on this machine:

Dell 2850
2 x 3.0 Ghz Xeon 800Mhz FSB 2MB Cache
4 GB DDR2 400 Mhz
2 x 73 GB 10K SCSI RAID 1 (for xlog and OS)
4 x 146 GB 10K SCSI RAID 10 (for postgres data)
Perc4ei controller

The above is a standard Dell box with nothing added or modified beyond
the options available directly through Dell.
You should probably review the archives for PostgreSQL user
experience with Dell's before you purchase one.

I sent our scenario to our sales team at Dell and they came back with
all manner of SAN, DAS, and configuration costing as much as $50k.
HAHAHAHAHA.... Don't do that. Dell is making the assumption
you won't do your homework. Make sure you cross quote with IBM,
Compaq and Penguin Computing...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/