Re: Overriding the optimizer

Jaime Casanova wrote:

What I would
really like is for my DBMS to give me a little more pushback - I'd like
to ask it to run a query, and have it either find a "good" way to run
the query, or politely refuse to run it at all.

set statement_timeout in postgresql.conf

That is what I am doing now, and it is much better than nothing.

But it's not really sufficient, in that it is still quite possible for users repeatedly trying an operation that unexpectedly causes excessive DB usage, to load down the system to the point of failure. In other words, I'd ideally like it to give up right away, not after N seconds of table scanning my 100-million-row tables... and not with a timeout, but with an explicit throwing up of its hands, exasperated, that it could not come up with an efficient way to run my query.

Kyle Cordes
www.kylecordes.com