Re: Overriding the optimizer

... This seems like a case where PostgreSQL's current optimiser should easily know what to do if your config settings are correct and you've been running ANALYZE, so I'd like to see your settings and the explain analyze plan...

I could, but it would divert us from the main topic of this discussion. It's not about that query, which was just an example. It's the larger issue.

So your main example bad query is possibly just a case of lack of analyze stats and wrong postgresql.conf config? And that's what causes you to shut down your database? Don't you want your problem FIXED?

But like I said - no developer is interested in doing planner hints. Possibly you could get a company to sponsor it. Maybe what you want is a statement of "If someone submits a good, working, fully implemented patch that does planner hints, then we'll accept it."

Chris