Re: Overriding the optimizer

> Right on. Some of these "coerced" plans may perform > much better. If so, we can look at tweaking your runtime
  > config: e.g.
  >
  > effective_cache_size
  > random_page_cost
  > default_statistics_target
  >
  > to see if said plans can be chosen "naturally".

I see this over and over. Tweak the parameters to "force" a certain plan, because there's no formal way for a developer to say, "I know the best plan."

No, this is "fixing your wrongn, inaccurate parameters so that postgresql can choose a better plan".

I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion that we need planner hints, but unless you or someone else is willing to submit a patch with the feature it's unlikely to ever be implemented...

Chris