Re: two disks - best way to use them?

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Thomas Harold wrote:

Yeah, I don't think I was clear about the config. It's (4) disks setup as a pair of RAID1 sets. My original config was pgsql on the first RAID set (data and WAL). I'm now experimenting with putting the data/pg_xlog folder on the 2nd set of disks.

Under the old setup (everything on the original RAID1 set, in a dedicated 32GB LVM volume), I was seeing 80-90% wait percentages in "top". My understanding is that this is an indicator of an overloaded / bottlenecked disk system. This was while doing massive inserts into a test table (millions of narrow rows). I'm waiting to see what happens once I have data/pg_xlog on the 2nd disk set.

in that case you logicly have two disks, so see the post from Ron earlier in this thread.

David Lang