Re: Postgresql Database and PG_WAL locations

On Mon, 2024-09-02 at 09:15 -0400, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > but it is still a good idea to separate data and WAL,
> > so that they cannot fill up each other's file system.
>
> Regular checkpoints, transactions(*) that don't stay open for hours
> or days, and monitoring replication to ensure that it keeps replicating
> data instead of piling up on the primary server all solve that problem

Right, if everything is working as it should, monitoring is in place
etc. this will never happen.

But I believe that paranoia is a virtue for the DBA, and it is better
to have a second line of defense than a crash of the database.

> Honestly... it's been YEARS since I've seen that problem.

I see it all the time (on systems I didn't set up).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe