Re: No Message "PostgreSQL, contrib, and documentation successfully made. Ready to install."

On 13.08.24 10:07, William Sescu (Suva) wrote:
There used to be messages like the following after running make or make or make install-world, after the compilation of PostgreSQL.

-- "PostgreSQL, contrib, and documentation successfully made. Ready to install."

-- "PostgreSQL, contrib, and documentation installation complete."

However, with PostgreSQL 14.13 this is not the case anymore. (At least on Red Hat 9.4).

Is there any reason why this messages do not show up anymore? I found them quite useful.

Here is the development discussion about it: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/6a421136-d462-b043-a8eb-e75b2861f3df%40dunslane.net

I guess the summary is that people preferred less chatter during the build, and that removing the messages made refactoring some make targets easier.