Re: Schedule pg_repack job with pg_cron

On Thu, Aug 8, 2024 at 6:17 AM <shammat@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Ron Johnson schrieb am 07.08.2024 um 21:39:
> Part of a properly-maintained system is *regularly* archive/purging
> (whether that be dropping date-based partitions, or deleting old
> data from unpartitioned tables or tables partitioned by something
> other than a date).
>
> For example, I gave a list of tables (all intertwined via FK
> constraints) to the application support people, and they returned
> the list stating how many weeks or months of data to retain in each
> table.  Every Saturday night a cron job goes through and deletes the
> old data from, and then "manually" vacuum-analyzes them.

If the application will then insert new data after the cleanup, Postgres
will re-use the free space that the delete "created". So depending
on the speed of inserts, you might not really gain that much.

Eh?  The whole point of VACUUM is to ensure that the existing allocated disk space is available for new records?

Or did you think that I do a VACUUM FULL on those tables?  (No; I definitely don't do that, though I occasionally CLUSTER some of the tables to make range queries more efficient.)

--
Death to America, and butter sauce.
Iraq lobster!