RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Client not able to pick up

My guess is that in their pg_admin config, they are still connecting to the server, not the HAPROXY.

If you connect to the proxy, you will always get the leader.  If you connect to the server in pg_admin, you'll get that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 3, 2024 11:43 AM
To: Rajesh Kumar <rajeshkumar.dba09@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Client not able to pick up

How are you using HAProxy??? PostgreSQL can only have one master taking writes. So if you're sending write transactions to HAProxy to split among master & replicas, then yeah, there's your problem.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> On Jul 3, 2024, at 11:27 AM, Rajesh Kumar <rajeshkumar.dba09@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Can this problem due to issues with HAproxy?
>
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2024, 19:22 Scott Ribe, <scott_ribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Jul 2, 2024, at 7:25 AM, Rajesh Kumar <rajeshkumar.dba09@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Let's ignore pgbouncer. I am getting the same error for client who are connected directly
>
> Principle is the same, something is setting the read only state.
>
> - Either the database is read only, as for a hot standby for instance;
> - Or the user is set to default to read only;
> - Or the client is setting read only and not subsequently setting read write.
>
> Ignoring pg bouncer just means excluding the possibility that the read only state was set by some client other than the one reporting the error.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This email transmission may contain confidential information.  This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom it is intended even if addressed incorrectly.  Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient.  Thank you for your compliance.  Copyright (c) 2024 Evernorth