Re: explosive WAL growth

Has any autovacuum, vacuum, or reindex occurred?
These operations generate lots of WAL depending on the size of the data related.

Lucio Chiessi

Senior Database Administrator

Trustly, Inc.

M: +55 27 996360276

On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 3:10 PM Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Something is causing our WAL to grow 160GB/hour *faster* than archiving. (Archiving appears to be working normally.) This started in the past couple of days.

I am having some trouble finding the cause of this. I am looking at pg_stat_statements, # calls, time, shared blocks written. I am also looking at recent client app deployments.

My next step might be to use something like pg_waldump to see what's in this WAL.

Any suggestions?

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottribe/

Please read our privacy policy here on how we process your personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (the “GDPR”) and other applicable data protection legislation.