Re: How to output psql to file AND screen/console

On 2024-02-07 11:39 +0100, Edwin UY wrote:
> Thanks Erik, the \o | tee outfile does the trick. Never thought of that.
> It appears to exclude the output from psql I think like \conninfo or
> \encoding.

>From the docs:

	'“Query results” includes all tables, command responses, and
	 notices obtained from the database server, as well as output of
	 various backslash commands that query the database (such as \d);
	 but not error messages.'

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-psql.html#APP-PSQL-META-COMMAND-OUT

\conninfo and \encoding don't access the server, hence their outputs are
not query results.

> Is there a way to get those to show in the outfile too? This is the same
> for when not using tee as well.

Your first mail says that you want to run a script.  I don't see why
that shouldn't work:

	$ psql -f myscript.sql | tee outfile

In that case stdout will be piped to tee and that will also cover
output of commands such as \conninfo.

But I'm out of ideas for psql's interactive mode.

--
Erik