Re: application_name backend (not) reporting back to the client : pgbouncer, PgSQL 16.1, pgbouncer 1.21.0

Στις 9/12/23 00:54, ο/η Tom Lane έγραψε:
Achilleas Mantzios <a.mantzios@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
the trick is to have "application_name=" with no value.  This causes the
server to not set application_name initially.
No, that sets it to an empty string, while application_name='' sets
it to two single quotes, according to the testing I did.  In either
case, that value will be reported to the client as the active value
during connection start.  Then the subsequent SET causes a new
report, but (since v14) only if the value being set is different.

Thank you Tom, now I see we have a different behavior, I have uploaded a video that demonstrates my case : https://youtu.be/qcrVsFszV0Y

I didn't have the time to fire up wireshark/tcpdump or debugger thought (I should).

Please check the scenario
Client C1 connects to S1, sets application_name. BEGINS, COMMITS, the
server gets freed to server the next client.
Client C2 connects to the same S1, sets application_name, and gets no
report back. So it stays with application_name empty. Then this breaks
the application.
How could pgbouncer prevent this from happening ?
pgbouncer would have to regurgitate the latest ParameterStatus
messages to the new client (during its faked-up initial connection
handshake) to ensure everything's synchronized correctly.
If for some reason it's not doing that, that would be a pretty
serious bug if you ask me, since clients might be relying on
hearing the truth about settings like client_encoding.  Since
the whole point of pgbouncer is that the backend doesn't know
a new client has been slotted in, it's not clear to me how or
why the backend should solve this.
You helped a great deal! It is time I open an issue on the pgbouncer project.

			regards, tom lane

--
Achilleas Mantzios
 IT DEV - HEAD