Re: PG Database Encryption

Thanks Laurenz, Team.

  FYI, I am trying to contact the Cybertec team :) , i have following queries

Queries:

The native Postgres does not mention about "Cluster-level encryption" at page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/encryption-options.html
Does this mean DB Cluster encryption is not yet fully supported by Native Postgres release?  ( and if we need this feature then better to rely on Ubuntu deb packages from cybertec or download patch versions?

Request to share your known info in this regard which will help us to great extent.

Thank You,
Ravi

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 12:16 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2023-05-29 at 17:28 +0530, Ravi GH wrote:
> I tried the suggested option of TDE , to enable Cluster Level Encryption. I had followed the
> "Installation from Source Code" method with --with-ssl=openssl parameter to ./configure during build.
>
> 1. Please confirm the enabling encryption is possible only by install from source with --with-ssl parameter?

Sounds right.

> 2. I could enable encryption using PG 12 with patched version provided at here , do we need to purchase
>    the product or is it possible with Postgres source shared at https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v14.7/

It is free open source.
You can get the patched version for different releases here:
https://github.com/cybertec-postgresql/postgres/tags

> We are using Ubuntu 22 and we will prefer to go with TDE cluster level encryption, please advise can we try
> to implement it by install from source ( with shared source at https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v14.7 )
> or need to purchasing TDE patched version is mandatory to enable cluster level encryption?

That should be here: https://github.com/cybertec-postgresql/postgres/releases/tag/PG_14_7_TDE_1_1_3

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

--
"Give me the place to stand, and I shall move the earth" — Archimedes