Re: pg_dump why no indicator of completion

2023年5月1日(月) 22:26 richard coleman <rcoleman.ascentgl@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Scott,
>
> Generally I run pg_dump nohup in the background with all outputs captured to a file.  Finding the exit message is simply a matter of navigating to the bottom of the output file and checking.
> Excepting for pg_dump, I don't generally have to worry about exit values as most command line programs are either short-lived and obvious, like ls, or emit their own text exit status.

If you do need to run pg_dump manually, have you considered running each
invocation in a terminal multiplexer such as "screen" or "tmux"? The
thought of long-running processes hanging around in NOHUP purgatory
fills me with a sense of impending doom.

Regards

Ian Barwick