Re: pg_dump why no indicator of completion

I backup some databases every night using pg_dump.  From a bash script initiated by cron, the way God intended them to be run.  And I check the return code, like every good production shell script should.

I back up other databases using pgBackRest (also from a bash script initiated by cron, the way God intended them to be run).  And I check the return code, like every good production shell script should (even though it prints a message saying "Finished").

Because who in their right mind manually checks log files every morning, when a shell script will gladly email you if something went wrong?  Make the computer work for you!!!