Re: Tooling for per table autovacuum tuning

On Sun, 2023-03-12 at 13:34 -0700, Joseph Hammerman wrote:
> What I am imagining is per table tuning that buckets the tables based on their relative sizes.
>
> Something like:
>
> Up to 1Gb - Small
> Up to 4Gb - Medium
> Up to 8Gb - L
> Bigger - XL
>
> And an accordant autovacuum_scale_factor associated with each size.
>
> The motivation for this is to make sure large tables get regularly vacuumed.

I understand.

There is no such option currently.  Perhaps you can use "autovacuum_vacuum_threshold"
for something like that: if you set it to a certain (high) value and set "autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor"
to 0, autovacuum is triggered based on the absolute number of dead tuples.

But I would say that the standard configuration makes sense in this case: normally,
large tables don't need to be vacuumed that often, and vacuum on large tables is
nore expensive too.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe