Re: pgbackrest questions

Greetings,

* Sbob (sbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> 1) can I set recovery_target_action = 'pause' with a pgbackrest restore and
> then restart with a new timestamp if the data I am looking for has not yet
> been restored?

Yes you can set --target-action=pause and then pgbackrest will set that
for you in the PG config.  After the initial restore is done though,
you'd likely just change the target in the PG config instead of doing it
with pgbackrest since you don't need an actual restore to be done
(though you could, I suppose, use --delta with your restore, but that'd
still involve a lot of files being restored and all of the WAL being
replayed again, things that aren't really necessary...).

> 2) can I go grab the base backup and wal files from pgbackrest and  perform
> my own manual recovery if I wanted to?

Depending on the options you give to pgbackrest, yes.  pgbackrest was
designed to allow for a user to use regular command-line tools such as
gzip to turn the repo and WAL files back into a working cluster and that
continues to work for simple configurations.  When bundles or the soon
to be released block-level incrementals are done with pgbackrest,
however, that won't be possible as those options require that we combine
PG files and hunks of files into larger files which aren't easy to pull
back apart.

Thanks,

Stephen