Re: user credentials rejected by pgAdmin right after new install

Hi Frank

Using pgAdmin is generally fine, but not helpful in case you're trying to find an error regarding connecting to the server.

Be aware that the pgAdmin mailing list isn't this one. pgAdmin is a different project.

Try to connect using psql, which is the only "official" frontend.

Watch out for the setting listen_addresses in postgresql.conf and appropriate entries in pg_hba.conf, as without correct values there no connection is possible. Often, listen_addresses doesn't allow remote connections with the default setting.

If you are connecting with pgAdmin from the same machine (NOT via TCP/IP), then you can use a local socket (AF_UNIX) and enter the path of the socket files instead of the IP address or the name of the server. pgAdmin can handle this, as psql, but DBeaver for instance cannot.

Best Regards,

Holger