Re: Improve "select count(*)" query - takes more than 30 mins for some large tables

Hi Raj,

Since PostgreSQL uses MVCC there is no current number of rows as an absolute truth. Every COUNT(*) has to check the visibility of each row for the current transaction. This makes it slow for large tables.

If you don't need the exact figure but just an estimation, you can get this from the internal statistics tables. After an ANALYZE they are close to the "real value".

This show the number of rows for all non-empty tables in all visible schemas.

SELECT nspname AS schemaname,relname,reltuples::numeric
  FROM pg_class C LEFT JOIN pg_namespace N ON (N.oid = C.relnamespace)
  WHERE
    nspname IN (SELECT unnest(current_schemas(false))) AND
    relkind='r' AND reltuples > 0
  ORDER BY reltuples DESC;

Regards,

Holger