Re: Reordering the fields in a table

Right on, Laurenz!

Laurenz Albe wrote on 4/16/2021 3:54 PM:
On Fri, 2021-04-16 at 16:15 +0000, Campbell, Lance wrote:
I would love to see an enhancement to PostgreSQL where administrators had some way to reorder the fields in their tables.
Why is this a big deal?
The one issue that causes me the most grief is the readability of tables.  When you manage 17 services
  where you are continually tweaking the system you find the tables are very unreadable.
New fields are continually added to the bottom of tables. They are just not readable.
There is a misconception here.
Database tables are not designed for human consumption.
If you want to present your table data in a readable format, you need a front end application.
Arranging table columns is the job of such a tool.

If you want to do it in the database, use a view.
Simple views that just reorder the columns are updatable, so you could just
use those instead of the underlying tables in your statements.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe