Logical replication and wal segment retention

Hello, folks,

Yesterday, I had a small file system fill up, due to some logical replication testing we had been performing. We had been testing IBM’s IIDR system and apparently it had built a logical replication slot on my server. When the test was completed, nobody removed the slot, so WAL segments stopped being dropped. Now I can understand the difficulty separating what physical versus logical replication needs from the WAL segments, but as logical replication is database specific not cluster wide, this behavior was a little unexpected, since the WAL segments are cluster wide. Are WAL segments going to pile up whenever something drops a logical replication connection? I’ve seen it, but it seems like this could be a bad thing.
-
Jay

Sent from my iPhone