Re: Reliable WAL file shipping over unreliable network

On 01/03/18 18:18, Rui DeSousa wrote:

I can tell you this; it’s not ZFS or it’s quotas.  I know that Postgres has no problems with ZFS and quotas; I have seen Postgres development environments run out of quota space on ZFS and Postgres never got corrupted — it would just crash and end up in a crash/restore loop.  Just increase the quota and Postgres recovers without issue exiting the crash/restore loop, cleanup the rouge space usage, and reduce the quota back down.  It makes recovering from out of space issues very quick.

So enabling quotas on the same ext4 filesystem I reliably getting 'quota exceeded' and 11 return code from rsync. This is on Ubuntu 17.10 (not sure what you are on)...but to me it points the finger at a ZFS bug.

Also as has just been pointed out - typically people enable monitoring and provision so as to specifically avoid the weird edge cases for out of disk/quota etc.

regards
Mark