Re: Reliable WAL file shipping over unreliable network

On Feb 28, 2018, at 8:46 AM, Nagy László Zsolt <gandalf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Another problem with rsync might be that it does not know if a WAL file
> on the source side is growing (e.g. being written) and it might start
> copy that before it is fully flushed to disk. I see this as a big
> problem, but I don't have experience.

You use rsync in the archive command, not by itself. Postgres does not try to copy the file until it is ready.

> E.g. move the file into the archive dir only after it has been fully
> copied to the destination volume. But then we still have the problem of
> partially written files on the slave side.

No, you do not have that problem at all.

Given an unreliable network, you probably do want to use --partial

--
Scott Ribe
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottribe/