Re: Postgres install

On 02/05/2018 12:41 PM, Azimuddin Mohammed wrote:
Hello,
I need to install postgres without root privileges. I have a postgres user in our companies AD.
Below are my questions n concerns:

1. Is there a website you will refer other the postgres documentation, the one on postgres website is confusing

I am guessing you are referring to?:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/index.html

What part do you find confusing?

2. What is the default location of postgress install from a source code? i.e if I run rmp -ivh <rpm name> where will it install by default? can this be changed ?

For source code install see here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/install-procedure.html

"You can customize the build and installation process by supplying one or more of the following command line options to configure:

--prefix=PREFIX

Install all files under the directory PREFIX instead of /usr/local/pgsql. The actual files will be installed into various subdirectories; no files will ever be installed directly into the PREFIX directory.
"

The second part of your question has to do with a RPM install, which is not a source install. Do you want to do a source install, RPM install or both?

Also what OS are you planning to install to?

3. Important parameters I need to change  ? I am planning to have different drive location for my data directory or any important parameter, please let me know.

This would be easier to answer if you where to provide an outline of how you want your Postgres install to be structured.

Thanks in Advance

--

Regards,
Azim