Postgres install

Hello,
I need to install postgres without root privileges. I have a postgres user in our companies AD.
Below are my questions n concerns:

1. Is there a website you will refer other the postgres documentation, the one on postgres website is confusing

2. What is the default location of postgress install from a source code? i.e if I run rmp -ivh <rpm name> where will it install by default? can this be changed ?

3. Important parameters I need to change  ? I am planning to have different drive location for my data directory or any important parameter, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance

--

Regards,
Azim