Re: "Dynamic routing" to different databases

Brad,

On 10/01/2015 12:48 PM, Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA) wrote:

You can set the default search path on a per-role/user basis.  What
you could do is map a DB user (or set of users) to a specific schema,
then set that users search path for the appropriate schema and the
queries will automatically get routed to the appropriate schema.
Segmenting your different applications user also allows you to use
the role system to restrict access to the data between applications.

I'd love to, but unfortunately the service consuming the database is very, very strictly limited to one connection string, which entails one set of credentials, one server and one database, and more connections cannot be created as-needed at runtime without restarting the service, which in our industry is not acceptable.

So, unfortunately I cannot avail myself of such an elegant solution; instead, I must access all the schemas via one role.

-- Alex

303 Perimeter Center North, Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30346
United States

Tel: +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671 (direct)