"Dynamic routing" to different databases

Hello all,

We have a rather complex service delivery application that is presently designed with a "single-tenant" use case in mind: one self-contained PostgreSQL database with all necessary tables, and one service consuming that database, configured via a static connection string.

We are trying to figure out the most economical technical possibilities for retrofitting "multi-tenant" functionality into it; you might think of it as a kind of virtual hosting, where different requests coming into the consuming service, segregated by, say, request URI domain, result in very different behaviour.

Obviously, one way to do this is to add an additional layer of abstraction at the database schema and the application level itself, creating nested entities and so forth. This is impractical, however; it would be nothing short of a wholesale overhaul of the entire codebase (which consists in large part of PostgreSQL stored procedures for the business layer).

So, what we're trying to figure out is the feasibility of grafting multi-tenant functionality into the existing paradigm. For instance, we could have a "meta-data" database with a table that defines DNS domains and maps them to other database names/connection info on the same server. We could then create a new and self-contained database for each "tenant". I think that would make the most sense by far.

The major limitation is that the consuming service can connect to one database and one database only, so what is needed is some way to present foreign databases through one PostgreSQL connection handle to one particular database.

The dblink facility seems to provide ways of doing this, but what I am not clear on is: 1) how transparently the foreign database can be rendered, vs. having to graft in lots of dblink_*() calls and 2) whether there is a significant performance hit in using dblink, assuming the "remote" tenant databases are located on the same cluster. Can this be done using foreign data wrappers or something of the sort, for instance?

Failing that, is there some functionality in PgPool or another connection proxy which can effectively take

   SELECT * FROM tbl META_ATTRIB = 'domain.com';

and transform this into

   SELECT * FROM tbl;

on the appropriate database for 'domain.com', which is a mapping that would be maintained in something that is, at least in principle, dynamically reloadable?

Advice much appreciated!

-- Alex

303 Perimeter Center North, Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30346
United States

Tel: +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671 (direct)