Re: Messed up time zones

2012.08.03. 18:38 keltezéssel, Tom Lane írta:
Laszlo Nagy <gandalf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I have intentionally chosen an example where the local time is changed
from summer time to winter time (e.g. local time suddenly "goes back"
one hour). It demonstrates that you cannot use "at time zone ...."
expression to convert a timestamptz into a desired time zone manually.
Um, yes you can.  The trick is to use a timezone name, not an
abbreviation, in the AT TIME ZONE construct (for instance,
'Europe/Budapest' not just 'CET').  That will do the rotation
in a DST-aware fashion.
And loose information at the same time. Because after the conversion, you won't be able to tell if it is a summer or a winter time. So yes, you are right. You can do that kind of conversion, but then sometimes you won't know when it was, or what it means. This problem could be solved by storing the UTC offset together with the time zone, internally in PostgreSQL.

Maybe, if that is not a problem for the user, he can use "at time zone" for converting between time zones. Personally, I will stick with UTC and use a program to convert values, because I would like to know when it was. :-)